Bitcoin is the most widely used form of digital currency in the world. It is a kind of currency that is controlled and put away altogether by high-tech PCs spread over the Internet. More individuals and organizations are starting to use this currency.
Unlike a plain U.S. dollar or Euro, bitcoin is a type of payment system, much like Paypal. (Learn how to buy Bitcoin from PayPal in two minutes)
You can hold on to it, spend it or exchange it. It can be moved around as efficiently and effortlessly as sending an email.
For those seeking information on how to make online transactions anonymously, Bitcoin is the perfect answer. Bitcoin allows its users complete anonymity to make transactions and leaves behind no traces of personal information.
Down below, we have discussed some important points as to how Bitcoin makes a complete sense and whether it can be used as an alternative to the traditional currency.
Important Points to Understand Bitcoin:
- Bitcoin transactions are stored in public ledger called Blockchain. These transactions are recorded online and anyone with the access to Blockchain can view them. Thus, making the process more transparent. The transparency also drives new interest to the economy and results in the downfall of illegal use of the currency, such as drug ring.
- Saying that understanding Bitcoin is more than just a currency makes perfect sense. Unlike traditional currency, it can be transferred from one country to another without any legal obligations. It dissolves the global barriers and frees currency from the control of federal governments. However, the value of Bitcoin is still dependent on the U.S. dollar.
- Bitcoin is an open source software and the technology used in Bitcoin is quite interesting. The currency works under the laws of mathematics and is overseen by a group of highly skilled professionals. The software can run on thousands of machines simultaneously, operating in different parts of world – making it one of the unique programs out there.
- Bitcoin was created and released onto the internet 8 years ago by an anonymous programmer called “Satoshi Nakamoto”. The software is designed to run on multiple machines – called bitcoin miner – simultaneously. These machines can be accessed and operated by anyone on the planet with the basic understanding of a PC.
- Bitcoin miners are used to generate new coins and are designed to mine no more than 21 million coins before the year 2140. These machines enable the coins to slowly expand and encourage the Bitcoin miners to keep the system growing.
- When new coins are generated, they are given to the miners. The miners keep track of all the bitcoin transactions and add them to the Blockchain ledger. In exchange, they are rewarded with a few extra bitcoins. The currency reward limit currently stands at 25 bitcoins, which is paid out to the world’s miners about six times per hour. Those rates can change over time.
These are some facts that make Bitcoin unique in comparison to other currencies out there. Taking everything into account, bitcoin pushes the limits of innovation. Much like PayPal in its outset. However, the marketplace will have to decide if the risks related to Bitcoin and payment system make good sense in a longer run.
Satoshi Nakamoto familiarizes Bitcoin anonymously around the world. The online digital currency was published in late 2008 on cypherpunk mailing list in its white paper. Furthermore, cryptographer follows the same method in the 1990s.
However, bitcoin has few online, offline and social media forums. We will discuss some top bitcoin forums in this article.
Online Bitcoin Forums:
A passionate community of the users, developers, businesspersons, investors follow the expansion of the bitcoin. Members of this community have a discussion about market trend, share their ideas regarding digital currency on both online and offline platforms. Following are few online platforms for the discussion.
The Bitcoin Mailing List:
Propagation of the bitcoin adoption among the public needs more development. Basically, they need a platform to share their ideas and developers start working on its core software to provide such comfort to the users. In 2011, bitcoin mailing list introduced on Linux foundation server especially launched for this purpose.
Where everyone has the opportunity to join the list. While brokers only allow posting on topics.
A bitcoin platform, where bitcoin community is free to have a discussion about the Bitcoin technicalities. This forum was the part of the bitcoin.org in early 2011. Sirius owns this domain and admin goes by Theymos.
This platform is common for the signature campaigns or promotion messages attach to the comments by users. Those who meet the requirements for this feature, take compensation from the advertisers.
News accumulating site, which allows its users to arrange communities such as subreddits around topics of interest. Two most common subreddits such as r/Bitcoin and r/BTC, among the users, with 230,000 and 36,000 subscribers. r/Bitcoin was the one-man show in late 2015. But, when scaling debate occurred, facilitators amended the discussion that supported Bitcoin XT. In addition, an increase in block size slightly than second-layer solutions. Then, few members launched r/BTC to reclaim their voice.
A discussion site, where you are free to talk about the Bitcoin and have a lot of discussions about it. You can visit the site http://btcwarriors.com/
Bitcoin has covered all the aspect of the interest. It has the community channels, groups, lists, pages on all well-reputed websites. A large number of the companies have created channels on various platform such as slack to cover all the aspects of the cryptocurrency.
A single click on Facebook or Linked in will brings a wide information in front of you. Whereas, for other including WhatsApp, Telegram or slack – you need a group or network to proceed.
A forum where developers teaming up to work on the projects. Bitcoin has a source on the platform with the thousands of the commits from bitcoin core developers. In short, this is a place where only developers allow for underwriting the discussion by using their cryptographic code.
Three well-known Bitcoin forums provide the physical meetups, conferences, and hackathons.
Bitcoin community has active meetup groups around the globe. Meet.com facilitates such type of groups. Member of this bitcoin trading platform has the meeting once or twice in a month and share their experiences, market trend and current situation accordingly. In addition, few groups have to launch the pads for startups, a marketplace where anyone has the total opportunity to buy and sell physical bitcoin.
By attending the conferences, you have the opportunity to interact with others business holders, developers, talk persons from different communities.
Hackathons were organized and developed by Bitcoin software developers and contributors. Contributors use them to showcase their innovations and compete. You can easily find such type of events around the world.
The continuous demand and popularity as well as a sudden increase in the prices of various types of cryptocurrencies has aroused a wide scale interest. Instead of all that popularity and demand, the future of digital currency is still uncertain due to many reasons.
Cybercriminals played a critical role in this scenario when they started to demand ransom in the form of cryptocurrencies, most notably Bitcoin, which is the most popular and precious of these cryptocurrencies. It was already expected due to the safe and anonymous transaction facility. As a result, the demand of cryptocurrencies increased and automatically led to the mining of cryptocurrencies.
That’s why Microsoft has recently released a blog post elaborating the increasing threats of malicious cryptocurrency miners. Let’s see what actually cryptocurrency mining is:
Talking in simple words, coin or cryptocurrency mining is the process of running complex mathematical calculations in order to maintain the blockchain ledger. Though this process gets you a very small amount of coins but it pays well as the prices have gone up during the past few years. As a matter of fact, cryptocurrency mining will celebrate its 10th year in 2019. Because of the continued use of high level computing and uninterruptible power supply, it is not a too much popular practice. It is an intensive task that requires significant resources from dedicated processors and other hardware including heavy duty graphic cards.
Measures from Microsoft to Block Miners’ Attack
As mentioned earlier, Microsoft has shown some serious concern in this regard. The main reason is that technically, cryptocurrency mining can come in various malicious forms and can be implemented in a lot of ways. The largest threat is the so-called cryptojacking. Cryptojacking refers to remote browser-based coin mining that uses background resources to mine when a user visits the malicious URL turning his computer into a host. The same thing can also infect your computer with unwanted applications, while some hackers might be able to modify the startup settings of your computer, so every time you boot it, the unwanted malicious application will run in the background affecting your system speed.
The main reason for Microsoft’s concern is the core issue associated with the loss of computer resources. Corporate setups can face a huge drain of their available resources.
Fortunately, Microsoft has successfully blocked a major attack at the beginning of this month.
In order to stay protected, Microsoft has recommended to use advanced machine learning detection modes in Windows Defender ATP to identify and prevent such malicious threats.